Church House, Tarvin was one of the oldest surviving buildings in the village, but empty, derelict and in danger of toppling into the street. It was purchased by Chester City Council and, in 1985, passed to the Trust for restoration. Work was undertaken by specialists in timber-frame construction and Church House was eventually sold in 1991 as a very fine private dwelling.
The 16th Century Grade II listed building is formerly the parlour wing of a farmhouse. It has a chimney inserted in 1658 with a brick 19th Century extension to the rear. Predominantly timber-framed with a Welsh slate roof, its gables, fireplaces, heraldic plasterwork and mullioned windows are exceptional.
The restoration work had to deal with dry rot, wet rot, woodworm, death-watch beetle, a new roof, work on the sandstone foundations and walls damaged by earlier brick infill.
Tarvin Online states: “Tarvin residents must remain grateful to the group of volunteers, amateur and professional conservationists, who came together in this case to maintain a property that adds so much character to the village centre.”